[Foundation-l] Steward election issues

Keegan Peterzell keegan.wiki at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 00:59:42 UTC 2011

On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 6:37 PM, Thomas Goldammer <thogol at googlemail.com>wrote:
 | That's a very simple thing,
>
> the people must be able to verify (at least to a certain extend) that
> you are indeed that user on enwiki, which they were not obviously, so
> your vote was correctly marked invalid. For the next one, just get
> yourself an SUL account and vote with that, or add a link on enwiki to
> your Meta account, and everything is fine. :o)

Sure, it's very simple if know about meta and the steward election process
and went into detail.  In this case we have AKMask not following the letter
of the law to a T, but certainly the spirit in stopping into support a
candidate as a long-time English Wikipedian.

So often on this list we talk about the reception of new users and the
various ways the wikis operate regarding such.  But rarely (comparitively
speaking) do we discuss such biting of other Wikimedians by stopping by
another project.  Each one has its own pitfalls in receiving new users
whether it's uploading images, editing another language wiki when you aren't
fluent in the language if that's not an accepted community norm to work with
in content creation, not knowing en.wp's 32x3^10 policies, guidelines, and
other rulings, or the eight million other reasons a user would become
disenfranchised with a project after spare usage.  AKMask was making a
genuine vote in the steward election and was (fairly, by rule) disqualified
because of the rule.  That doesn't make it right in terms of making sense as
an outsider to meta, the hub of Wikimedia, but still very much invested on a
Wikimedia Project.  It's akin to being on a colony and coming home to vote
only to be informed that the rules were set up while you were on the voyage
"home".  I'm good at bad comparisons.

The email shouldn't be discounted as "try again next time and follow these
simple rules".  The issue is fundamental to interwiki relations.

--
~Keegan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Keegan