[Foundation-l] Remarks on Wikimedia's fundraiser

church.of.emacs.ml church.of.emacs.ml at googlemail.com
Sat Mar 5 20:31:57 UTC 2011

On 03/05/2011 08:37 PM, Zack Exley wrote:
> I promise that we kept the annoyance of the fundraiser almost to a minimum
> given the amount of money we had to raise.

"we had to raise" sounds absolute, but it is relative to a self-set
(some would say "arbitrary") fundraising goal. This year the goal was
very ambitious, perhaps too ambitious.
If it is not possible to reach the goal without too much annoyance, then
perhaps something is wrong with the goal, not just the methods to reach
that goal.

> If some people want to hear more about that, or want to suggest things we
> might not have thought of to make the fundraiser less annoying, then let's
> have that discussion.

Sure. I'd love to get opinions from more people (perhaps at Wikimania, too?)
The (editing) community should to be comfortable with Wikimedia raising
funds, and if it isn't, we need to find ways so that it will be
(disabling banners for logged-in users is a low-hanging fruit, taking
their wishes in the selection (not only creation) of banners into
account might be another).

> If some people think the foundation should be much smaller, and shouldn't be
> raising a budget this size, then let's have that discussion.

It's hard to tell. I wouldn't go so far as to say that it should be
smaller, but it is obvious that we need to think about stop growing at
some point (and in my opinion sooner than later).

-- Tobias