[Foundation-l] Remarks on Wikimedia's fundraiser

Zack Exley zexley at wikimedia.org
Sat Mar 5 19:37:12 UTC 2011

On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 1:30 AM, church.of.emacs.ml <church.of.emacs.ml@
googlemail.com> wrote:

> However the main point of mail was to discuss how we're going to raise
> funds without being annoying to readers, and I welcome any input from
> WMF staff, chapters and volunteers :-)

I promise that we kept the annoyance of the fundraiser almost to a minimum
given the amount of money we had to raise. We did learn some things and this
year we'll be able to reduce the annoyance-per-dollar somewhat. But if you
thought last year's was annoying, you'll still find this year's annoying.

If some people want to hear more about that, or want to suggest things we
might not have thought of to make the fundraiser less annoying, then let's
have that discussion.

If some people think the foundation should be much smaller, and shouldn't be
raising a budget this size, then let's have that discussion.

For clarity's sake, I think they should be kept as two different
discussions.

If some people want to have the second discussion, please don't wait for
Foundation staff or leaders to argue in favor of the current size of the
budget. I think that would just be silly. If you think it's too big, speak
up -- and if you think it's about right, please also speak up!