[Foundation-l] Raising funds without being quite so annoying to readers

Neil Harris neil at tonal.clara.co.uk
Sat Mar 5 14:19:25 UTC 2011

On 05/03/11 14:05, WereSpielChequers wrote:
> Picking up on the comment by Tobias about less intrusive fundraising,
> I would make sure we are pursuing the following:
>
> 1 Build up a past donors database, communicate with them effectively
> and then as long as they donate annually make sure they aren't
> irritated by ads for people who haven't donated at all. (I gather
> something is now being done here, but I know it wasn't in the past).

And also, WMF should make it possible to accept continuing donations as
a subscription on a monthly basis.

For example, $5 a month feels much less painful than $60 once a year.
Continuing donations also don't require a decision to keep on giving --
the donations just continue until canceled.

Building up a base of continuing donors would be almost as good as
having an endowment, and would make financial planning much easier.

-- Neil