[Foundation-l] Remarks on Wikimedia's fundraiser

Zack Exley zexley at wikimedia.org
Sat Mar 5 05:22:15 UTC 2011

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 11:50 AM, church.of.emacs.ml <church.of.emacs.ml@
googlemail.com> wrote:

> I found that comment to be very disturbing. It makes the Wikimedia staff
> look like it is mostly concerned with keeping their jobs,[4] instead of
> making Wikimedia's mission succeed. Money is not something inherently
> good that we should strive for. It is but a tool, in pursuing our mission.
>
> I think he'd tell you he regrets the way he put that. Our jobs don't matter
at all if they're not significantly helping the movement. And I know he
feels that way too.

Two days ago in the Community Department, we had a staff gathering to talk
about the values and principles that should inform our thinking. One that I
included was:

"The Wikimedia movement doesn’t owe you a job; You are here to serve the
Wikimedia movement; If you want a job, start looking." I'm very serious
about that.