[Foundation-l] Projects in simple languages

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 13:31:56 UTC 2011

On 06/21/2011 12:25 AM, MZMcBride wrote:
> Thanks for the detailed response. :-)
>
> Milos Rancic wrote:
>> As usual, discussion would be held on Meta. If there are serious
>> arguments against creation of Simple French Wikipedia, we would consider
>> them, of course. However, "arguments" like "I don't like simple
>> projects" won't be counted.
>
> Well, I'm sure some of them would say that in French; would that help? ;-)
>
> I do wonder if arguments such as "Wikimedia should not be in the business of
> making simplified language-versions of projects" would be counted.

There is one more thing in which I agree with Michael...

As he is in the group which creates BCP 47 language subtags, I told to
him that we should get generic subtags for simple languages. His
response was that we should think about it when the time comes, not before.

I think that we will wait for some time, maybe even long, before we get
a valid request for Simple French Wikipedia. When that time comes, we'll
think about details.

I mean, there are other things to be done and we've already spent a lot
of time in it. The only reason why we've done so is to normalize the
situation. I started with the position "we should recommend to the Board
to close all simple projects" during the Berlin meeting. However,
normalization went into other direction and I am fine with it, too.