[Foundation-l] Election results?

Ting Chen wing.philopp at gmx.de
Fri Jun 17 20:32:55 UTC 2011

Hello all,

at first thank you all for take part in the election, especially to the
volunteers on the Elections Committee. As most of
organizing-an-event-job, there are always a lot of work that the
attendees of the events don't necessarily see. I also want to thank
everyone who take part in the voting. Whoever you have voted, it is an
important feedback for us all, and an important feedback for our works
in the past and our works ahead. Many thanks to the candidates who had
competed in a very fair and civil manner. The exchange of ideas and
views with all of you is very refreshing and gives me new impulses. A
very special thank this time to Alec McConroy, who had put up very tough
questions and as soon as I had caught breath (see below), I will
continue our conversation on meta.

Actually in this year I got the news of the election result later than
most of you. I was mostly on travel last week, and had visited Almaty,
Kazakhstan. Something really remarkable is happenning there. Our
volunteers there had started to organize a nationwide movement and had
found support in the politics, companies and media. The Kazakh
Encyclopedia had decided to put its up-to-date 16-band encyclopedia
under a free licence. There are initiatives in the parliament to make
the copyright law more clear and supportive in respect of free-licenses,
and the biggest national welfare fund "Samruk-Kazyna" had decided to
fund activities to build up the Kazakh Wikipedia. Our volunteers there
are going to start ambassador programs in the universities in Almaty and
had set the very ambitious goal to expand the Kazakh Wikipedia into 200k
articles until December 16th, the 20th independance day of the Republic
Kazakhstan, not by using bots, but by writing and translating qualified
articles. That would mean about ten fold of the article amount than at
the moment. It was on my way from airport back how when I got the first
congratulations, before I got know the result.

And tomorrow I am going to Den Bosch to celebrate with our volunteers in
the Netherlands 10 Years Netherlandish Wikipedia.

It is by chance that these two events lye so near by each other, but I
also think that there is an intrinsic link between them. It is our work
until now, and I mean really OUR, every volunteer, that inspire and
attract new people from around the world. Our success hetherto shows how
a world of sharing and a world of free knowledge could look like. It is
really true, that we are building a heritage, a world heritage,
recognized officially or not. It is a world heritage because so many
people, from so many places, put their hands on it. All of us collected
it, shaped it, byte by byte, section by section.

And because of this, as in every of my speech, my best and sincere
thank, goes to our volunteers, every single one of you.

Greetings
Ting

On 17.06.2011 16:54, wrote Theo10011:
> Results are out.
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Board_elections/2011/Results/en
>

> Theo
>
> On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 8:04 PM, Harel Cain<harel.cain at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> I only want to rephrase what I said back at the beginning of the thread:
>> it's perfectly understandable if things run late (huh, Wikimania taught me
>> this first hand). It's just that little one-sentence update on the results
>> page that was missing and would have spared us this thread.
>>
>> Now, some more patience - I'll go drink something :)
>>

>> Shabbat Shalom from Jerusalem,
>>
>> Harel

>>> though.
>>> Now, now, everyone be nice. The moderation button isn't that far from me.
>>>
>>> Austin

>> --
>> Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

Ting

Ting's Blog: http://wingphilopp.blogspot.com/