[Foundation-l] Global ban - poetlister?

Thomas Morton morton.thomas at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 3 20:59:56 UTC 2011

This is somewhat off-topic but..

Whilst that is a somewhat glib view of the smaller projects :P it's not
entirely inaccurate.

By virtue of being smaller and starved of editors it is a lot easier to gain
permissions at those projects. In fact, if one of us (established editors)
was banned from Wikipedia tomorrow I reckon it would not take long to get
installed at another project and become admin (hell, it only took me 9
months to con you lot on en.wiki :-P)  and maybe beyond. It's not a fault of
the smaller projects - but any pretty active contributor is likely to
advance further and faster than on English Wikipedia.

The solution to this is actually simple, but non-trivial - *go do some work
on the smaller projects.*

I realise this is not the *easiest *approach, but I am (sloooowly) doing my
bit on Wikibooks and I think everyone could find something to interest them,
if only for a while. If we (English Wikipedia editors) took a moment to go
contribute a few pages to some of the smaller Wiki's and take part in some
of the discussions that might find a lot more favour there.

And then when a disruptive editor of this scale appears we wouldn't have to
be navigating the minefield of global bans (and communities getting people
around them), but just have a quick personal word with some of the admins
there...

Just a thought...

I do also support the idea of working on a formal global ban process. On the
other hand; the independence of the individual wiki's is crucial, so any
such ban process works only as far as projects will accept it.

Tom