[Foundation-l] Global ban - poetlister?

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 20:58:32 UTC 2011

On 3 June 2011 21:09, Strainu <strainu10 at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011/6/3 David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com>:

>> I suspect there is more than a little of that in current local wiki
>> defiance of global bans. And it's really, really not a good idea.

> Please argument that position David. Has this person abused his
> checkuser status?

He tried really hard to. Enough of us knew damn well who he was, thankfully.

> I personally think project independence is a "sine qua non" condition
> for recruiting a certain class of contributors (for instance,
> academia). We have enough conspiracy theories  without the foundation
> enforcing another rule over the head of the communities.

I fully appreciate that - and individual wikis are frequently enough
on crack (en:wp being no exception at all). But when someone is
obnoxious enough to rate a global ban, I really don't think WMF-hosted
wikis should get a local option on that.

- d.