[Foundation-l] Blocking of Wikipedia Pages

Steven Walling steven.walling at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 19:00:35 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 6:06 AM, James Heilman <jmh649 at gmail.com> wrote:

> My hospital IT department has become more draconian as of late. Was
> attempting to make changes to "breast thermography" an imaging technique
> for
> breast cancer to discover that websense considers it nudity. Had a
> discussion with IT and they concluded that they can be off no help.
>
> What sort of measures is the Wikimedia movement taking to address these
> sorts of issues? The work around I will be using is the running of TightVNC
> Portable Edition off of a USB stick to control my home computer over the
> cloud.
>
> --
> James Heilman
> MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

James,

Thank you for bringing this up. The impact of Internet monitoring and
filters at work on Wikipedia editing is actually in the draft questions for
this summer's research in the Community Dept. at the Foundation.[1]

You feel free to dive in there with your thoughts, if you want to expand on
them or perhaps just link to your post.

1.
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/meta/wiki/Research:How_does_exogenous_policy_affect_editor_work%3F

Steven Walling