[Foundation-l] Oral Citations project: People are Knowledge

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 17:37:51 UTC 2011

On 29 July 2011 17:39, Wjhonson <wjhonson at aol.com> wrote:

> I would agree with Ray that we should quote Latin texts in Latin, Spanish texts in Spanish no matter what language-page we are using.  IF the text is that important to English speakers then there should be or probably will soon be, a verifiable English language translation *not* created in-project, but rather by a reputable author publishing just such a translation.

This would mean that only English-language references are acceptable
in en:wp, which is of course false. Your statement takes a useful idea
(no original research), extrapolates it until it really obviously
breaks, and then puts forward the broken version as a good thing.

You appear to be mixing up policy, guidelines, practice and how you
personally think things should be, without distinguishing which you
are describing at any given time; this leads only to confusion.

- d.