[Foundation-l] They do make or break reputations

Fred Bauder fredbaud at fairpoint.net
Sat Jul 16 08:41:54 UTC 2011

There are practices which are beyond the pale, for example, linking to a
pirated copy of the latest Harry Potter movie. Linking to the typical
YouTube video of unknown provenance is quite another matter; although it
is quite true that in both cases there may be a technical copyright
violation. In the second case, there is usually no one complaining. When
there are complaints YouTube takes the material down. The copyright
police demand proof of ownership and either expiration or release in
instances where such information is unavailable. That may be what is
required if we are to host the material, but might be unreasonable for
mere linking.

Fred