[Foundation-l] Privacy concerns

Risker risker.wp at gmail.com
Sun Jul 10 21:10:35 UTC 2011

On 10 July 2011 16:28, Peter Gervai <grinapo at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 19:18, Risker <risker.wp at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > The next question becomes....and what does this "trusted person" do with
> the
> > information? If it is destroyed promptly, then there's really not much
> > point; if it is retained, I'd like to see how this meets local and EU
> > privacy policies.
>
> Well I don't know about your EU but in ours we have a method called
> "collecting private data by agreement for a given purpose" and it is
> completely legal. If I say to you that you have to provide this and
> that private data if you want me to do this and that and I will
> collect your private data for that very purpose, and you agree, then I
> am legally allowed to collect and handle it. You have the right to
> disagree and leave the agreement and not to use the given service.

I'm thinking more of whether or not it is retained, and precisely how it is
retained. Is it kept in a locked box somewhere? Sitting on someone's desk?
Accessible to other individuals?

Of course, there's no guarantee that the personal information submitted
actually belongs to the person whose account is blocked, either.

It seems an awfully complex process fraught with multiple opportunities for
problems. Frankly, I cannot understand why the presentation of personal
identification documents changes anything with respect to the manner in
which this user will interact with the community.

Risker/Anne