[Foundation-l] Merge wikis

Juergen Fenn juergen.fenn at gmx.de
Mon Jul 4 22:57:01 UTC 2011

Am 02.07.11 14:17 schrieb Alec Conroy:
>> if you talk to the press, or to media experts, they all know
>> "Wikipedia" but not "Wikimedia". The most simple and reasonable way is
>> to use the famous brand, not to invest in "Wikimedia".
>

> There's an even bigger opportunity here--
> Make a brand new brand name that captures the ideology better than
> Wikipedia-Mediawiki-Wikimedia.
> Wikipedia's an encyclopedia, Mediawiki's the software, Wikimedia's the
> ISP-- and none of those names capture the "spirit of the movement".
> Coming up with a good brand name and associating it with our movement
> and our foundation--   whether the foundation ever changes its name
> formally or not, there should be a  brand name for "Wikimedia
> projects, their users, and their allies".  And unlike our other brand
> names, this one should actually be inspiring to people who don't
> already know what it means.

I beg your pardon, but Ziko and WereSpielChequers are absolutely right
here. You won't manage to introduce another brand name after ten years
of Wikipedia. Even if you tried, it would be to no avail. It was a huge
mistake to introduce the sister projects under a different brand and to
keep them apart from Wikipedia proper. After all, it did not foster
creativity and diversity, but it rather split the movement into parts
irreconcilable.

Regards,
Jürgen.