[Foundation-l] Merge wikis

Alec Conroy alecmconroy at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 12:17:05 UTC 2011

> if you talk to the press, or to media experts, they all know
> "Wikipedia" but not "Wikimedia". The most simple and reasonable way is
> to use the famous brand, not to invest in "Wikimedia".

There's an even bigger opportunity here--
Make a brand new brand name that captures the ideology better than
Wikipedia-Mediawiki-Wikimedia.
Wikipedia's an encyclopedia, Mediawiki's the software, Wikimedia's the
ISP-- and none of those names capture the "spirit of the movement".
Coming up with a good brand name and associating it with our movement
and our foundation--   whether the foundation ever changes its name
formally or not, there should be a  brand name for "Wikimedia
projects, their users, and their allies".  And unlike our other brand
names, this one should actually be inspiring to people who don't
already know what it means.