[Foundation-l] Usability wiki

Stephanie Daugherty sdaugherty at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 13:56:43 UTC 2011

I would hope that in the future, the decision to make a separate wiki for
any "subproject" is not taken as lightly, given the concerns about
fragmenting discussions - it's much easier to track these things when they
are all in one place. :)

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 8:42 AM, Guillaume Paumier
<gpaumier at wikimedia.org>wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Le samedi 29 janvier 2011 à 21:35 +1000, K. Peachey a écrit :
> >
> > I must disagree with that, fragmenting discussions all over the place
> > just makes things worse, It would be much better to keep these
> > discussions centralized on somewhere like Meta or Mediawiki wiki (or
> > possibly Strategy as well) instead of scattering them onto obscure
> > wikis where they don't have as much viewage.
>
> Yes, that was exactly the rationale behind the closing of the usability
> wiki. I can try to elaborate a bit, since concerns were raised.
>
> The usability wiki was historically created as a work space for the
> Wikipedia usability initiative. The end of both usability grants
> provided an opportunity to revisit the decision to have a whole separate
> wiki.
>
> Of course the Wikimedia Foundation is continuing to work on usability,
> and I don't think anyone would argue that "all usability problems are
> solved" :) Far from it. But usability is now an integral part of all
> WMF-supported engineering work and features.
>
> As such, it makes sense to use mediawiki.org as the main workspace for
> Wikimedia developers, rather than to have a separate wiki. It might also
> help paid developers "mix" more with volunteers developers.
>
> In a nutshell, the usability wiki is being replaced by the strategy wiki
> (for strategic product discussions, where Amir's and others' "dozen of
> ideas" will be most welcome) and mediawiki.org (for specific project
> management and implementation).
>
> Hope that helps,
>
> --
> Guillaume Paumier
> Product manager - Wikimedia Foundation
> Support free knowledge: http://donate.wikimedia.org

Faith is about what you really truly believe in, not about what you are
taught to believe.