[Foundation-l] Usability wiki

Guillaume Paumier gpaumier at wikimedia.org
Sat Jan 29 13:42:24 UTC 2011

Greetings,

Le samedi 29 janvier 2011 à 21:35 +1000, K. Peachey a écrit :

> I must disagree with that, fragmenting discussions all over the place
> just makes things worse, It would be much better to keep these
> discussions centralized on somewhere like Meta or Mediawiki wiki (or
> possibly Strategy as well) instead of scattering them onto obscure
> wikis where they don't have as much viewage.

Yes, that was exactly the rationale behind the closing of the usability
wiki. I can try to elaborate a bit, since concerns were raised.

The usability wiki was historically created as a work space for the
Wikipedia usability initiative. The end of both usability grants
provided an opportunity to revisit the decision to have a whole separate
wiki.

Of course the Wikimedia Foundation is continuing to work on usability,
and I don't think anyone would argue that "all usability problems are
solved" :) Far from it. But usability is now an integral part of all
WMF-supported engineering work and features.

As such, it makes sense to use mediawiki.org as the main workspace for
Wikimedia developers, rather than to have a separate wiki. It might also
help paid developers "mix" more with volunteers developers.

In a nutshell, the usability wiki is being replaced by the strategy wiki
(for strategic product discussions, where Amir's and others' "dozen of
ideas" will be most welcome) and mediawiki.org (for specific project
management and implementation).

Hope that helps,

--
Guillaume Paumier