[Foundation-l] Translatewiki illustrates how low internationalisation is in the priorities of the Wikimedia Foundation

Teofilo teofilowiki at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 15:08:51 UTC 2011

2011/1/28 Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com>:
> When the CIA uses MediaWiki and it does, we are
> happy because as a result we do and did get feedback on the use of our
> project. When the CIA wants to use LocalisationUpdate and its people help
> localise at translatewiki.net we could not be more happy.

As I said, I have nothing about anybody reusing the contents. However
I am against entering into a community with anybody. I want to enter
only communities with which I share some values.

Let's forget about the CIA. I have nothing against the CIA.

Let's imagine a group with non-democratic values provides translators
to Translatewiki. Then that group has a legitimacy to have a say in
the way Translatewiki is managed. Then that group can impose its power
structure in the management of Translatewiki. Then for some
unexplained reason, they hire bad translators, who really do bad work.
Can I say "hello, I am from Wikipedia, and I think your translation is
wrong, please change it". No I can't. It is too late. They have
imposed their non-democratic power structure, and there is no way to
change what people superior to me in their non-democratic hierarchical
power structure are imposing. In a non-democratic power structure the
only thing you can do is shut up.