[Foundation-l] Questions about new Fellow

Arun Ramarathnam arunram25 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 02:11:52 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 4:10 PM, CherianTinu Abraham
<tinucherian at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi all,
> As an active wikimedian from India, I am just sharing my personal take on
> the whole thing

Firstly, my apologize for my late response to this thread, due to my other
pre-occupations. I needed to catch up with the thread before I responded.

As a manner of introductions I am one of the members of the current
Executive committee of the Wikimedia India chapter. I have also been active
in organizing the regular monthly meetups for Wikipedians in Bangalore and
the recent W10 event.

As a member of the team that worked to get the chapter  formally
registered, for nearly two years  (this has been attempted a few times
earlier unsuccessfully), I have no hesitation in saying that Achal has
played a key role in assisting and supporting the team in getting the
chapter formation going.

I was going through my email archives and I ran into the email he sent some
of us on 31-Mar-09 proposing the first meetup of the team. Please note we
are now formally a chapter as per the local laws from 02-Jan-2011. Achal has
been supportive and helpful through this journey and provided necessary
advise when sought. Thank you Achal.

There have been other comments on the clarity of roles and their tenure. As
a member of the community I do believe that there is opportunity for the
foundation to define some these more clearly to avoid misunderstandings of
this nature in the future.  Having attended the chapter's meeting in Berlin
last year I am aware of the Movement roles initiative to bring further
clarity regarding various stakeholders and roles.

As far as the  specific project for which the grant was offered, I do
believe the project would be of help and value, as would many other that
need to be done to catalyze the growth of wikipedia in the numerous Indian
languages.

Best regards
Arun