[Foundation-l] retire the administrator privilege

Amir E. Aharoni amir.aharoni at mail.huji.ac.il
Sun Jan 16 07:45:13 UTC 2011

2011/1/16 Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>:
> On 15 January 2011 21:55, Amir E. Aharoni <amir.aharoni at mail.huji.ac.il> wrote:
>> Before writing that proposal i reviewed many, many pages of "RFA is
>> broken" discussions not just in the English Wikipedia, but in Hebrew,
>> Russian and Catalan ones, too. Nowhere have i found a proposal to dump
>> the concept of adminship completely and to split it into several
>> roles, although i admit that i didn't read all the archives through.
>> The closest thing that i found to my proposal is what happens in the
>> Portuguese Wikipedia, which has the "Deleters" group (it has a lovely
>> name in Portuguese - "Eliminadores").
>
> It has been suggested before. It's even on the "Perennial proposals"
> page on the English Wikipedia. The page about this proposal
> specifically is:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Limited_administrators

What they do in the Portuguese Wikipedia is not what i propose; it's
only close to it. What's listed at [[en:Wikipedia:Perennial
proposals]] is very different from what i propose. I don't propose
limited adminship; i propose to retire the concept of adminship
entirely, because it's an outdated lump of very different things. (And
by the way, i have a habit of re-reading Perennial proposals every
couple of months.)

A checkuser, for example, is not a limited admin. He's a checkuser and
it's good that it is this way.

What i would really like to hear in this discussion is opinions
outside of the English Wikipedia.