[Foundation-l] Licenses' biodiversity : my big disagreement with the Wikimedia usability initiative's software specifications

Teofilo teofilowiki at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 16:07:03 UTC 2011

2011/2/20 Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com>:
> Hello,
> Please get real. The translation of such licenses is WORK and much of this
> WORK is done by volunteers. Even when it is not done by volunteers it costs
> time.
>
> There is one suggestion I can give you. Give abundantly of your money to
> Creative Commons so that they are able to address your concerns.
> Thanks,
>        GerardM

The concerns of many French people are already addressed by "CC-BY-SA
2.0 fr", and those of Indian people by "CC-BY-SA 2.5 in" There is no
need to waste money in the 3.0 version.

I think the upload wizard should

- allow non-CC licenses such as License art libre, or GNU GPL, GNU
LGPL, Open Source Music License, etc...
- when CC licenses are chosen, allow to pick up licenses from any
version (2.0 or 2.5 or 3.0) and any country as freely as with
http://creativecommons.org/choose/ , eliminating the "NC" and "ND"
versions which don't fit Commons' licensing policy.