[Foundation-l] Licenses' biodiversity : my big disagreement with the Wikimedia usability initiative's software specifications

FT2 ft2.wiki at gmail.com
Sat Feb 19 19:14:54 UTC 2011

A license is not a finite resource. It's not something that "runs out" in
quantity or duration. So usual arguments for multiplicity fail. Free
licenses aren't needed to back up each other in case one "fails" or ceases
to exist, or in case one starts to charge more.

Multiple licenses add benefit when they offer significant variant choices of
value to a licensor that other licenses don't offer. They reduce benefit
when they divide "free X" into proliferated mutually incompatible X's,
divided by use and reuse conditions that confuse or cause difficulty.

FT2