[Foundation-l] Criticism of employees (was VPAT)

phoebe ayers phoebe.wiki at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 19:28:35 UTC 2011

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 9:23 AM, Fred Bauder <fredbaud at fairpoint.net> wrote:

>> One suggestion I made was that, since communication between office and
>> community is so critical, it might be worth the foundation employing one
>> person at the office purely for community/office liaison (via this list,
>> on
>> Meta, etc). In other words their role is to be at the office and
>> responsive
>> to the community on lists and wikis, ensure community questions and
>> concerns
>> are addressed or not lost, where other staff may not be able to do so as
>> fully as some would wish. It'd cost, but it may well be worth it.
>> Worthwhile? Or wasteful?
>>

>> FT2
>
> Yes, worthwhile, although this list would be only a minor part of such
> monitoring. An experienced Wikipedian needs to monitor the mailing lists,
> Village Pump, requests for arbitration, and the administrative
> noticeboards regularly and prepare a brief summary for staff daily.
> Emphasis would be on issues which have potential to or already affect
> public relations or Foundation resources.
>
> Fred

And it's worth pointing out the obvious -- the reason there are so
many places is because it's nearly impossible to keep up with
*everything* going on in the communit(ies)* all the time. Even a
subset of that discussion can be too much for those of us trying to
get other things done as well; most of the subscribees of the list
probably skim it at least some of the time. And the vast majority of
our community is not even on Foundation-l.... but a pretty large
percentage (I'd guess) of those people who interested in governance,
foundation and meta-issues probably are subscribed, which is just one
of the reasons why it's worth trying to make it a useful forum -- a
perennial hope and dream!

collegially,
Phoebe

* projects in 270 languages, chapters, wmf, etc.