[Foundation-l] Document Foundation fundraising

Amir E. Aharoni amir.aharoni at mail.huji.ac.il
Fri Feb 18 16:01:02 UTC 2011

2011/2/18 David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com>:
> On 18 February 2011 15:15, Milos Rancic <millosh at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> While it is likely that they will achieve $50.000 somehow [1], it
>> would be good that WMF (1) donate them some sum of money and (2) to
>> cover the remainder, if they would have any.
>
> It's a good cause, but doesn't look on the surface tremendously
> WMF-mission-relevant. Do we have a significant usage of
> OpenOffice/LibreOffice?

I frequently use it to convert documents written by people
uncomfortable with MediaWiki syntax. Encyclopedic articles, documents
for WikiSource, word-lists for Wiktionary etc. Last time i checked,
MediaWiki exporter was included in the default installation of
LibreOffice. There supposed to be an equivalent add-on for Microsoft
Office. I tried installing it, but it didn't actually work; YMMV. But
then, we love Free Software anyway anyway, don't we?

This doesn't necessarily mean that i support donating money to that
foundation. I love and use the product, i help localizing it, and i do
hope that it will be independent from Oracle, but i haven't made up my
mind about this particular organizational move yet.

> (I installed LibreOffice 3.3 in Ubuntu 10.10 from the PPA. It's quite
> nice. They're getting out a lot of little annoyances that Sun and now
> Oracle never bothered with. Recommended.)

+1.