[Foundation-l] The matrix, reloaded (movement roles, or who does what in Wikimedia?)

Theo10011 de10011 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 15:44:57 UTC 2011

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 7:42 PM, Austin Hair <adhair at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 1:54 PM, FT2 <ft2.wiki at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Apologies for my unusual denseness here, but this matrix makes no sense
> > me, and lacks any information needed for constructive improvement.
> >
> > What I'd be looking for is a description of what the role and
> responsibility
> > is, in each box. Knowing that Business partnerships/Foundation is
> > "Globally", or that Advocacy+lobbying/Groups is "Support groups", tells
> me
> > precisely zero of any value about any organizational matter, roles, work
> > needed, and so on.
>
> Well, that's sort of the point.
>
> It's the start of something that we hope to have extensive community
> input on—it's the first step, not the last. Thirteen people
> brainstormed over the course of a few hours two weeks ago, and we
> wanted to throw what we had out there so everyone has a chance to
> participate.
>
> The definition of "groups" is particularly vague, as noted in the
> description. It's not something that I expect to resolve this week or
> next, but with some help we might have it mostly clarified within a
> few months.
>
> If you have specific questions, let's discuss! There's plenty of space
> on the wiki, and I'm happy to address stuff on this list and make sure
> it's integrated into the main body of work.

Hey Austin

I left a message on the talk page about the definition of "groups" in the
context of Movement Roles Project last week. I also brought this up in the
IRC hour a week ago. I know the intention here is to be as inclusive as
possible, but can we start to classify what "groups" are expected to be
included in the project.

A little more clarification about these "groups" would be greatly helpful
either on wiki or the mailing list.

I would assume that chapters are one such groups that are definitely going
to be included in the classification, if so, can we at least include them
somewhere so people have a general idea here about the context or what's
expected.

Theo