[Foundation-l] The matrix, reloaded (movement roles, or who does what in Wikimedia?)

Delphine Ménard notafishz at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 11:45:52 UTC 2011

Hi all,

The Movement Roles Project (which you've probably heard about but are
not really sure what it is about [1]) continues to go forward. After
an in-person meeting two or so weeks ago, which produced a whole lot
of (interesting) notes [2], we're breaking down the main outcomes of
the meeting for you (yes, you, and you, and you over there) to
comment, twist, change, add to, substract from, develop and {{insert
new collaboration-related word here}}.

The first part of those notes put up for scrutiny is known as "the
roles matrix."
To make a long story short, this matrix was put together after a
brainstorming session at our last meeting to try and define what roles
and responsibilities exist on the organisational level in Wikimedia,
and who fulfills those roles.
It sounds daunting, but really, it is a lot more fun that one may think.

So. The roles matrix is here:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Movement_roles_project/Roles_Matrix
for your perusal.

If you're interested in some background about the matrix, read the
whole page. It's not too long.
If you're not, please just hack away in the matrix here:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Movement_roles_project/Roles_Matrix#The_Roles_Matrix:_Reloaded
or share your ideas on the talk page here:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Movement_roles_project/Roles_Matrix

Bottom line is: we need you.
Really, we do.
We need you to bring new perspectives, fresh ideas, insight and
hindsight, crazy and thoughtful proposals, and most of all,
constructive criticism.

So please, follow the links and tell us a piece of your mind.

Thanks,

Best,

Delphine

[1] If I had to summarize it, I'd probably start by calling it "the
organisational development project". The next level of summarizing
would be "Trying to put together a comprehensive charter which
captures the roles and responsibilities of different people and
organisations in the Wikimedia movement, as well as defines a frame
for their interactions". For the next level, you might want to read
the meta page about it here:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Movement_roles_project/Proposal

[2] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Movement_roles_project/2011-01-29
--