[Foundation-l] Criticism of employees (was VPAT)

whothis whothith at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 18:49:53 UTC 2011

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 11:23 PM, Christine Moellenberndt <
cmoellenberndt at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> On 2/17/11 9:23 AM, Fred Bauder wrote:
> > Yes, worthwhile, although this list would be only a minor part of such
> > monitoring. An experienced Wikipedian needs to monitor the mailing lists,
> > Village Pump, requests for arbitration, and the administrative
> > noticeboards regularly and prepare a brief summary for staff daily.
> > Emphasis would be on issues which have potential to or already affect
> > public relations or Foundation resources.
> >

> Actually, we already do this.  I make a point of visiting AN, AN/I, RfA,
> Village pump, and at least glance at the conversations on 11 mailing
> lists several times throughout my day (or tease out certain threads if I
> can't read everything at once).  I try to hit the equivalents on the
> other projects as well on a regular basis.  That's in addition to
> everything else I do each day.  If I see something that's noteworthy, I
> make sure Philippe, Zack, somebody is aware of what's going on.
> Philippe does similar (at least while he's not vacationing, or maybe he
> still is knowing him!).  I also watched the Arbcom election, and I'm
> watching the Steward one as well.  And when I have the time (which
> hasn't been often lately, unfortunately) I hang out in IRC as well.

All that seems rather useless for the most part, I doubt anything from an
RfA or the AN/I has been brought up this list. This list seems to be mostly
policy related discussions, and its probably much easier to follow than what
you listed above. Again, if you were to ask a community member about half
the stuff you follow, they would have told you that 90% of it is rather
useless and trivial. There are other policy related things which seem to be
going by without notice.

> So yes, we do know what's going on.  We may not catch everything in a
> community this big, but we do try to keep an idea of what folks are
> talking about not only on things that affect the Foundation, but trends
> in the broader community that maybe we can help with (new software
> patches, maybe a project to see why things are a certain way [like the
> new editor decline], etc.).

I only referred to the mailing list, not that hard to follow.

> -Christine
>
> -------
> Christine Moellenberndt
> Community Associate