[Foundation-l] How should we greet newcomers?

Theo10011 de10011 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 13:09:09 UTC 2011

Hi Lennart

Would this be related to merely modifying the welcome template or something
a little more encompassing?

One idea that I had was to somehow refer new visitors to WikiProjects or
articles in need of expansion, based on some selection option where they can
select their field of expertise or interest. An easy way to implement it
would be providing an option to assign Categories to new users themselves,
we would only need a front end with an attractive UI.

We refer them through the welcome template to get started on what they like,
they are referred to a tool which gives them several options from languages
to fields to hobbies all based on categories and as they select those the
categories are added to their user-page. The tool refers them at the end to
WikiProjects and listed open tasks based on those selections.Its a similar
option to what yahoo, hotmail used to have, options to select field of
interests which they would use to for future marketing opportunities.
Similar to that, just in a non-spammy, helpful way.

I don't think embedding a video would be a feasible option, it might get
very resource intensive to host and implement.

I have added my suggestion to the outreach wiki, I was wondering if anyone
else had any thoughts related to it.

Theo