[Foundation-l] How should we greet newcomers?

Lennart Guldbrandsson wikihannibal at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 12:26:29 UTC 2011

Hello,

I know that some of you who are reading this have problems editing any other
wiki than your home wiki. It feels foreign. I myself have that problem
sometimes. But now you have the chance to do something remarkable. You just
have to go to the Outreach wiki to do it.

During the next 10 days, you can pitch in as many new versions of the pages
that the newcomers see when they get an account. For instance, if you think
that the newcomers should be met by a video that explains Wikipedia's
policies before they start editing, go ahead and make a page with a video in
it! You can add as many different versions as you have the time or
inclination to do. And it doesn't have to be perfect, either. We have a
design firm that can help us make it look good later on, so you can
concentrate on what the text should be.

By February 21st, we want at least five versions of the three different
pages that we can then do A/B tests on. (More versions are welcome, so do
not feel bad if your version becomes nr 6.)

This is the link:

http://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/Account_Creation_Improvement_Project/Testing_content

Please edit those pages as though they were your own wiki. Make yourself at
home on the Outreach wiki.

You can read more about the Account Creation Improvement Project here:

http://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/Account_Creation_Improvement_Project

Best wishes,

Lennart

--
Lennart Guldbrandsson, Fellow of the Wikimedia Foundation and chair of
Wikimedia Sverige // Wikimedia Foundation-stipendiat och ordförande för