[Foundation-l] Changes to the identification policies and procedures

Keegan Peterzell keegan.wiki at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 20:07:08 UTC 2011

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 11:59 AM, MZMcBride <z at mzmcbride.com> wrote:

> My issue is that this was presumably discussed for weeks prior to the
> announcement to the OTRS list, without any community notification. Even a
> courtesy heads-up ("we're currently re-evaluating whether certain
> volunteers
> need to identify") would have been good, especially as it brings forth a
> lot
> of questions from the community that Wikimedia apparently had not
> considered. (This is pretty clearly evident from the discussion on the OTRS
> mailing list.) When these decisions are issued by fiat and out of the blue,
> it raises suspicion about why the discussions weren't public or at least
> why
> there weren't any notifications that discussions were taking place. Was it
> intentional? Was it simply an oversight?

I've had off-hand conversations with many fellow agents over the past couple
years that were glancing discussions about the privacy policy and OTRS.
 Many were concerned about applying because of their transparency in ID not
to the WMF, but other volunteers.  Trust is a valuable thing and it is very
hard to build in an online medium.  As a subscriber to both otrs-en-l and
otrs-admins-l, I can assure you and the community that there was no closed
door conversation with a dozen people on a private mailing list responsible.
  It's the WMF's call, and one that I happen to support.

--
~Keegan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Keegan