[Foundation-l] Changes to the identification policies and procedures

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 4 19:19:04 UTC 2011

----- Original Message ----

<snip>

> Demanding  answers on Foundation-l is a lot different than the news about an
> upcoming  change trickling out into the community prior to an official
> announcement.  The latter does no harm. The former can derail a productive
> discussion about  a delicate issue before it's ready for public comment.

I could not disagree more strongly. The thing that derails productive
discussions and inflames delicate issues is gossip trickling about variably and
the distortions that are inevitable when third hand information is being
repeated. Not an open discussion on Foundation-l. If it at all seems otherwise,
it is only because the more common practice among Wikimedians is to only bring
discussions to Foundation-l *after* they have been well-worked over by the
gossip network.  I take issue with the implication that you would not object to
someone spreading this news over IRC, but find it objectionable to it being
spread here.

I imagine MZMcBride's inquiries have so often been slanted as though they had
originated from a hardened negative opinion, because he gets his information
from the gossip network rather than the WMF. I think I am so often ignorant
because I do the opposite. It seems to me, that MZMcBride has been taking pains
for sometime to change the tone of his messages. I personally have noticed a
continual incremental improvement on his part. It bothers me that despite what I
would rate as his success in crafting a neutral and reasonable message, he is
still characterized as demanding answers and chided for bringing up the issue
altogether. Whatever anyone else thinks MZMcBride, I have noticed your efforts
and I appreciate them a great deal.  Introspection and change are hard things to
do; thank you.

The main reason foundation-l is less useful than it could be is because is not
because people are *capable* of accusing WMF of wrongdoing in an aggressive tone
on an open list. It is because they are *encouraged* to do so by the trend of
leads to silence or being shut down completely, while accusations of wrongdoing
in an aggressive tone provokes snide answers. One of these methods of seeking
information on foundation-l turns out to be more effective than the other.  Of
course, gossiping is most effective of all.  But I for one, care enough about
the long-term health of the Wikimedia community and it's ability to integrate
newcomers as to prefer ignorance.

Birgitte SB