[Foundation-l] "Terms of use" : Anglo-saxon copyright law and Anglo-saxon lawyers : a disgrace for Continental Europeans

Andre Engels andreengels at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 20:02:48 UTC 2011

On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 8:25 PM, Ryan Kaldari <rkaldari at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> Would you care to explain anything you're talking about?
>
> I don't see anything in the Licensing section that mentions anything
> about U.S. copyright law. It says the content is licensed under the GFDL
> and CC-BY-SA, and the Attribution section just reflects the standard
> practices for those licenses. I don't see anything about how we're
> supposed to belittle and disgrace Europeans, but maybe I missed that part :)

I think what he means is that under most European copyright regimes,
an author has far-reaching personality rights, which include the right
to have the work accredited to them whenever it is republished. The
terms of use, in his feeling, hollow out this right by redefining the
obligatory credit part of the GFL and CC-BY-SA in such a way that one
can mention all authors by doing something that does not include
mentioning any of them.

André Engels, andreengels at gmail.com