[Foundation-l] Board letter about fundraising and chapters

MZMcBride z at mzmcbride.com
Fri Aug 5 23:45:18 UTC 2011

Michael Snow wrote:
> On 8/5/2011 4:26 PM, John Vandenberg wrote:
>> On Sat, Aug 6, 2011 at 8:06 AM, Michael Snow<wikipedia at frontier.com>  wrote:
>>> .. Honestly, I must say that it
>>> is a colossal disappointment to find that with all the posts I've seen
>>> both here and on internal-l, nobody has yet made a single edit to the
>>> talk page on Meta where the letter was posted. Doesn't anybody here know
>>> how to use a wiki?
>> Michael, the board announcement is not a good way to start a conversation.
>> Perhaps it is you who doesn't know how to use a wiki. :P
> That's funny, it seems to have started quite a bit of conversation. I
> just wanted to point out that we have these recurring arguments about
> the "right" mailing list to use, when we keep ignoring the arguably more
> open and transparent forum we're all familiar with.

Wikis are, quite simply, terrible for discussion. Maybe one day there will
be a great replacement for the ":::::::::::::" madness, but until then, even
mailing lists, antiquated and goofy as they are, are a vast improvement.

People bring up the forum because this (foundation-l) is the central list
for the Wikimedia Foundation. Anyone who thinks that this particular issue
is outside of this list's scope is insane. Using internal-l as a substitute
for an open discussion isn't appropriate or in line with Wikimedia's values.

MZMcBride