[Foundation-l] foundation-l Digest, Vol 85, Issue 52

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Apr 25 20:19:38 UTC 2011

On 04/25/11 10:13 AM, WJhonson at aol.com wrote:
> I don't believe you could make the case that individual contributors have
> any standing to sue for copyright violations.  Similarly, when you contribute
> to the project, you are intrinsically giving up any rights you may think
> you possess in what you have written.  "Your permission" is a non-existent
> entity in the case of what you give to Wikipedia.

If the individual contributors don't have the standing to sue than
nobody can! If contributing implies giving up "intrinsic" rights, why
even bother with the mention of licences? If I understand it correctly
Wikimedia has consistently refused even an assignment of the right to
sue for infringement lest it jeopardize its status as an ISP. The WMF
has no standing of its own on which to base an infringement suit.  One's
"permission" may still legally not amount to much, but that's not the
same as it's non-existence.

Ray