[Foundation-l] Baidu Baike attribution and Copyright

WereSpielChequers werespielchequers at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 05:20:57 UTC 2011

Attribution would be a step in the right direction, but are Baidu
Baike still claiming copyright over material on their site? I'm afraid
I don't read Chinese, but a usually reliable source says they do
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baidu_Baike#Copyright

Lots of people mirror or otherwise use content from Wikipedia, and
that's fine provided they comply with
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Text_of_Creative_Commons_Attribution-ShareAlike_3.0_Unported_License
and that includes having a compatible copyright.

Even if Baidu Baike attributes content correctly, it isn't acceptable
for them to claim ownership of content copied, translated or otherwise
derived from Wikipedia. They could of course change the copyright
status of pages that incorporate content from Wikipedia to CC by SA 3,
but if their site is anything like ours having incompatible copyright
on different pages would be messy. It would be much better for them to
change the copyright on their site to CC by SA 3.

WSC