[Foundation-l] Picture of the Year 2010 global notice and translation

Mono mium monomium at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 04:22:18 UTC 2011

Hello, I'm Mono on the Wikimedia Commons.

 I'm helping to
organize<http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Picture_of_the_Year/2010/Committee>
of
the Fifth Annual Wikimedia Commons Picture of the
Year<http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/COM:POTY/2010>.
In case you haven't heard about it, it's a contest where the featured
pictures selected from 2010 on the Wikimedia Commons are voted upon by the
community. Last year, a great deal of users participated, however, the
Wikimedia community landscape has changed, as many of our newer editors
aren't used to the Commons and haven't ever seen POTY play out. We'd like to
see an increase in participation from around our projects.

Because of this, I feel that it would be appropriate to post a global notice
for logged-in editors during the competition (there are two rounds; each one
lasts about a week) to encourage the broader community to participate. The
general consensus is that non-fundraising banners require community
consensus, so I'd like to get some feedback.

Finally, I would like to be the first to invite you to participate in the
contest...it is expected to occur in early May. Hopefully, you'll see a
global notice announcing the start of Round 1. Until then, the contest is
looking for help translating several messages into different languages over
at the translation
page<http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Picture_of_the_Year/2010/Translations>
.

Best regards,