[Foundation-l] WMF privacy policy & a third party web clone of et.wikipedia.org

Federico Leva (Nemo) nemowiki at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 09:39:25 UTC 2011

Raul Kern, 19/04/2011 08:25:
> an unknown third party has made a web proxy of Estonian Wikipedia
> at his webaddress (let's not promote this address here any futher, but
> You can guess it -- it's in form of
> www."popularwebencyclopedianame".ee ).

At least they aren't adding any banner, as happens with the .it domain.
Pietrodn in 2009 found a way to get people out of the trap: adding

if (top != self)
top.location.replace('http://toolserver.org/~pietrodn/wikipedia_redirect.php');

to [[MediaWiki:Common.js]] (cf.
https://fisheye.toolserver.org/browse/pietrodn/php/wikipedia_redirect.php?hb=true
) we redirected about a million visitors to the correct URL (informing
them about it) and now the domain itself has partly surrendered and
redirects to the real URL (with a banner...). I don't know if it would
work in this case (there are also some minor drawbacks).

Sadly, only the WMF could recover such domains, but they've never been
interested.

Nemo