[Foundation-l] WMF privacy policy & a third party web clone of et.wikipedia.org

Fred Bauder fredbaud at fairpoint.net
Tue Apr 19 08:47:06 UTC 2011

> Hi,
>
> an unknown third party has made a web proxy of Estonian Wikipedia
> at his webaddress (let's not promote this address here any futher, but
> You can guess it -- it's in form of
> www."popularwebencyclopedianame".ee ).
>
> His web clone looks just like real Wikipedia site. How can an
> unknowing web user be sure, that his site follows WMF privacy policy?
>
> Is that kind of usage of Wikipedia and WMF logos ok for the WMF?
>

> --
> Raul

No, of course it is not OK. Their privacy policy redirects to
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/meta/wiki/Privaatsus but you can't
tell if they just copied that, or committed to it. Our policy is quite
strict; I certainly don't follow it on Wikinfo and am much freer with my
use of checkuser when trouble starts than WMF policy allows. So no, you
shouldn't assume WMF policy is being followed on such a mirror, or any
fork. Nor should you assume an invasive policy is being followed; it is
not that easy to find very much from an ip and what computer and software
is being used. The software is just not set up to gather personal
information. See http://www.wikinfo.org/index.php/Wikinfo:Privacy_policy

Fred