[Foundation-l] Plea for candidates: WMF Movement Communications Manager

Sarah slimvirgin at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 23:02:01 UTC 2011

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 16:53, Risker <risker.wp at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 15 April 2011 18:36, Sarah <slimvirgin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 16:30, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > * Should you have been consulted?
>> >
>> But here we see something that happens on this list a lot. Someone
>> questions or disagrees, and they're attacked. Why is that? What is it
>> that makes questioning a bad thing?
>>
> I'm sorry that you're feeling beleaguered, Sarah; that is not my intention.

It wasn't you, Risker. It was David's comment: "Should you have been consulted?"

I am tired of seeing these comments on this list. It's the first time
one has been directed at me, but I've watched other people be treated
the same way. It makes no sense. Questioning, disagreement, and
transparency are important; it's what Wikimedia is all about, in fact.
I know people sometimes go too far, and occasionally gentle rebukes
may be needed, but they happen way too often on this list, with very
little provocation -- and they're not gentle.

We can't say we want new editors, old editors to stay, and a good
atmosphere onwiki, then have these kinds of exchanges.

I'll reply to the rest of your email some other time, Risker, if
that's okay, and I'll try not to labour the point. I do think it's an
important issue or I wouldn't be asking about it, but I'm obviously
not expressing myself well, so I'll take some time to think about it.

Sarah