[Foundation-l] Plea for candidates: WMF Movement Communications Manager

Risker risker.wp at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 22:53:15 UTC 2011

On 15 April 2011 18:36, Sarah <slimvirgin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 16:30, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 15 April 2011 23:24, Sarah <slimvirgin at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Right, I understand that. But my question is whether an employment ad
> >> in America could lawfully say (or imply), "Ideally your native
> >> language is not Urdu."
> >

> > The problem is that that's not what the ad says. As Risker pointed
> > out, you're going way into left field here.
> >
> > * What is the question you are asking?
> > * What is the moral point you are attempting to make?
> > * What is your recommended course of action?
> > * Should you have been consulted?
> >
> The point seems to me to be an obvious one. The point of substituting
> Urdu for English is to make the analogy more precise, to bring out the
> structure of the sentence. Given that we're discussing precision of
> language, I'm sorry I'm not able to be precise enough to communicate
> it properly.
>
> But here we see something that happens on this list a lot. Someone
> questions or disagrees, and they're attacked. Why is that? What is it
> that makes questioning a bad thing?

I'm sorry that you're feeling beleaguered, Sarah; that is not my intention.
However, I think you're really reading something into the position
requirements that just isn't there.  Let's take the direct quotes as they
relate to language expectations:

 Exceptional English writing is critical for this role, including the
ability to write time-sensitive, efficient, compelling, and clearly
understandable communications products for a wide range of audiences.
Demonstrated ability to work (speak, read, write at a professional level)
effectively in a language other than English (ideally as a native speaker)
Experience leading projects in a multi-lingual environment, including
collaboration with volunteers for whom English is not a first language [1]

Nowhere in there is there exclusionary wording about any particular
language. In fact, the only language that appears to be critically required
is English, and that requires an "exceptional" skill level, whereas any
other language requires only a "demonstrated ability".

The prospective employer has determined that the position needs someone with
high level ability in at least one other language besides English, and
justifies it because the position requires leadership skills in a
multi-lingual environment. I guess I'm just not getting where the labour
standards concern is coming in.

Risker

[1]
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Job_openings/Movement_Communications_Manager