[Foundation-l] Board Resolution: Openness

Quim Gil quim.gil at nokia.com
Tue Apr 12 20:17:14 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-04-12 at 20:02 +0100, ext David Gerard wrote:
> On 12 April 2011 19:46, Quim Gil <quim.gil at nokia.com> wrote:
>
> > In fact Wikimedia content is also popular among mobile users (directly
> > or through apps), but what about mobile contributions?
>

> I just tried editing an article on en:wp on my shiny new BlackBerry

Did you read the rest of my (admittedly long) email, where I was saying
precisely that there are many potential contributions not related with
editing that could be done from mobile devices?

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mobile_Projects/App_Features_&_Roadmap

Pasted here for convenience:

* "Share this" like WikiNews does.
* Watch an article - simple way to get readers progressively involved.
* Patrol a new article - could be suggested by the app.
* Geotag an article - maybe there is a way to offer suggestions.
* Assess the relevance / importance of an article - app could suggest
* Upload and embed a picture to a page - implementation might be tricky.
* Add a comment in the discussion page - rather than applying templates
directly.
* Let SuggestBot to suggest me a mobile task - (with some fine tuning of
the bot this could be a stand-alone mobile app in itself)
* Spellchecking - highly automated, engine tbd.

About tricky UIs, they can be improved for mobile use. Please take the
time filing feature requests and your proposals at
https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/

Thanks!

--
Quim