[Foundation-l] In reply to Virgilio's comments

FT2 ft2.wiki at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 11:48:08 UTC 2011

More comments:

*1 "What would happen if all administrators, bureaucrats and so on were told
to take a hike"
*
Apart from the oddness of having a community choose people it wishes to do
these roles and then telling them to "take a hike" (the community choose
these, they aren't imposed), WereSpielChequers has it right.
*
** 2 What would happen if new requirements for being administrator and so
forth included assuming real identities,
*
If you want to identify influential users I suggest you start with Featured
Article writers, for surely the people who write content and are involved in
its assessment as being shown to the world on the main page and described as
highest quality (and most authoritative by implication) are highly
influential users. Which is to highlight the illogic of the question.

Administrators are not highly influential compared to two other groups -
those who write high quality content (main page, tagged as "featured
article" etc) and the mass of general users who together create the ethos of
the site and a lot of any social issues. Administrators get a lot of
attention because they have a disproportionate involvement in addressing
abuse and inter-user misconduct, which is largely what the tools handle, but
not convinced this makes administrators of any great stature in the
community.

*3 and a  set of real world qualifications.
*
What would the point of this be? Neither in theory nor practice do
administrators have specific roles in content work. Should we require
real-world qualifications from editors generally? I think not - the skill an
editor needs is editing, which is to say the ability to review sources and
summarize them fairly. They usually don't need topic-specific qualifications
to do that.

*4 What it would be like to grant amnesty to all that are currently banned
and/or blocked.
*
Probably dispute and disruption mayhem. Most bans and significant duration
blocks - the vast majority - are people whose interest is vandalism,
attacks, and spam. Of the rest the vast majority again are people whose way
of working involves incidental or deliberate degradation of the editing
environment for others or for readers. A small minotiry may well benefit
from review, but not nearly enough for a general unconditional amnesty to
the vast majority who probably would not.

*5 What it would be like if there was separation of powers
*
This prsumably means we have people who edit, and people who handle
disputes/operate the tools. Presumably those who use tools would either be
recruited directly as non-editors, or would give up editing. I cannot see a
better way to create a group of users who don't know how to use tools
wisely, than to demand one or the other of these. It's far better that we
keep as it is - users who use enhanced tools are editors first and foremost,
come from the community, are nominated by the community, and still remain
immersed in the community as editors thereafter.

*6 and secret balloting.
*
Not convinced either way on the "secret ballot" issue nor a strong view on
it. There are also advantages to seeing specific views and being able to
weigh them and comment on / discuss them.

*7 I wonder what it would be like if Wikimedia projects would borrow a
little more from democratic principles.
*
You don't say which principles. The ones that polarize society
(Republicans/Democrats, for example, who attack each other rather than look
for points of similarity)? On a wiki page people ultimately have to learn to
co-exist. Those who can't or won't gradually sooner or later gain wider
attention for that reason. I think that's a lesson most democratic countries
could learn from us, not the other way round.

*8 Scary thoughts aren't they?
*
No. I don't find them scary at all. Thanks for them.

FT2