[Foundation-l] Board Resolution: Openness

Wjhonson wjhonson at aol.com
Fri Apr 8 20:23:05 UTC 2011

While I am all about openness and journalism, I had a recent incident which made me re-think something on these lines.
I had a few years back, started creating an open visible search-indexed index to ArbCom proceedings.
Some editors however edit using their real names, not something I would necessarily recommend if you end up at ArbCom and then a search on your name, get's a top Goog because of an index like mine.

People will common names could simply say it's someone else, but people with rare names like Dror Kamir for example, might have some intrepid employer say, "Oh Gee you were involved in that whole   xxxx versus yyyy big controversy in Wikipedia, I don't think your personality would be a good fit here...."

I can see it happening in this connected age, I have done it myself when propositioning a new client, to see what's out there on them.  I decided to make my index invisible temporarily while I mull this over more.

Will Johnson