[Foundation-l] Board Resolution: Openness

Dror Kamir dqamir at bezeqint.net
Fri Apr 8 20:16:23 UTC 2011

Hello,

This resolution is a very positive step. I hope we will soon be updated
about practical steps to implement it.

Two such practical steps that are easy to implement and would make a
significant difference, in my opinion:

(1) Administrators' decisions about bans, sanctions etc. should be made
more public. They are, of course, accessible to anyone as a policy of
all projects, but they are often "hidden" in many pages with
non-intuitive titles (for detailed analysis of the problem, see Ayelet
Oz's presentation in Wikimania 2009
http://wikimania2009.wikimedia.org/wiki/Proceedings:149). Had someone
followed the administrators' decisions on the biggest projects, and
publish a monthly newsletter with copies of the most prominent decisions
about bans and sanctions, it would increase transparency and make
administrators much more careful about checking cases and providing
justifications for their actions, especially in what concerns treatment
of new users. It would also give a better picture about disruptive
behaviors of users.

(2) Appealing sanctions should be made much easier. I would even go as
far as opening a special small wiki for such complaints. Reply should be
provided within a limited period of time, and refer specifically to the
new user's arguments. This may sound trivial, but projects often fail to
do so.

Dror K

בתאריך 08/04/11 22:35, ציטוט Ting Chen: