[Foundation-l] How bureaucracy works: the example

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Sun Sep 26 11:37:38 UTC 2010

Hoi,
When you look at developments in the MediaWiki software, you find that
usability is considered to be of prime importance. The software to make it
easy to upload to Commons is in the finishing stages. There is a project
waiting in the wings to make the creation of a user account much simpler.

If anything we are riding out toward the people and attempt to make it a
modern experience. In order to make Wikipedia attractive, we can learn from
our friends at Wikia. For them it makes commercial sense to grow their
traffic. For us it makes ideological sense to grow our traffic. Never mind
the rationale we achieve our goals by bringing information to our public.

The notion that we will be this all encompassing source of encyclopaedic
wisdom is a static goal. Its achievement lies in the future. In the mean
time we should enjoy the journey towards this goal. Circling the wagons is a
defensive action. It is aimed at shooting the "injuns". We are not cowboys,
and if we were, we would be driving the herd to pastures green. The wagons
would be behind the herd, eating dust and doing whatever to make the journey
enjoyable and getting the herd in good health to the other side of the
rainbow.
Thanks,
        GerardM