[Foundation-l] Has Wikipedia changed since 2005?

Peter Damian peter.damian at btinternet.com
Mon Sep 20 19:02:24 UTC 2010

Some excellent comments in the last few posts.  To address a few.

1.  On the idea that scholars in the humanities don't know how to work
together: definitely not!!  I myself am working on a collaborative project
(a translation of Duns Scotus) with someone in the US.  I have never met
this person, but we have worked together by email for more than two years on
a large project.  I have never had any trouble working with him, apart
occasional complaints about the speed of progress.  We have met many
substantive issues about which there is disagreement and potential conflict.
In every case we have met this by reasoned argument, evidence, sourcing and
so on.  Occasionally we have had resort to third party views, but only when
we agreed the problem was too difficult for us to resolve.  And the third
parties were taken from our small community of co-workers, which is evidence
in itself that we are a community, used to working together. As further
evidence, consider the great translation of St Thomas's Summa Theologiae
into English in the 1930s.  A huge undertaking, made by many translators
working together in harmony.  A sample here
http://www.newadvent.org/summa/1001.htm .  So, humanities scholars often
work together, often in large groups.

2.  More pertinent is Michael's comment "With mythology or other humanities
subjects, the academic paper may rely  on some facts or things that are very
nearly facts, assumptions that  have universal acceptance though they may
not be provable in the usual  scientific sense."  Again, humanities scholars
have worked out methods of dealing with the problem that 'facts' in the
humanities aren't as clear-cutand decidable as facts in the hard sciences.
Whereas any component mathematician knows what Cantor's or Goedel's proof
is, to state the key ideas of Aristotle in a paragraph is much harder.  But
we have worked out ways of dealing with this, and that is part of every
student's training.  Indeed the idea of 'primary' vs 'secondary' source
comes not from the hard sciences, but from the humanities (from textual
criticism, I think, but I am not sure).  As an example of this, consider the
well-known distinction between Anglo-American 'analytic' philosophy and
'Continental' philosophy.  This is profound, yet because we all have a
common humanities background, we are able to work together on Wikipedia.
There are about 4 academically trained editors working on Philosophy in
Wikipedia, 2 from the Anglo background, 2 from the Continental.  I have
never known any disagreement among this group.  The big disagreements come
about in the edit wars between the academically trained philosophers and the
untrained ones, for example the 'Objectivists' or disciples of Ayn Rand.
These have had no formal training in the way of resolving disputes and the
way of resolving difficult problems that is essential to academic training.

In summary, the problem is not that humanities scholars cannot work
together.  Many of them do, sometimes in large groups.  And the problem is
not that there is no method of working problems out.  Such methods are
integral to training in the humanities.  (Indeed, that is the main component
of such training - it's not the content of what you learn that is important,
it is the well-defined methods of approaching problems).  In my experience
the problem of humanities in Wikipedia is that the methods and training of
the 'experts' is so fundamentally different from that of 'Wikipedians' (who
by and large have no training at all) that disputes nearly always turn ugly.