[Foundation-l] Has Wikipedia changed since 2005?

Andreas Kolbe jayen466 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 20 18:46:39 UTC 2010

--- On Mon, 20/9/10, Robert S. Horning <robert_horning at netzero.net> wrote:

> When I see those involved with the Humanities, it is a very
> different
> environment.  I merely mentioned to one historian that
> I was writing a
> Wikipedia article and wanted to ask him a relatively minor
> question that
> could easily be answered.... I was just trying to find the
> source for
> some information he wrote on a website to see if there
> might be some
> additional information I could use in a related Wikipedia
> article.
> Instead, he unleashed on me how I was wasting my time and
> how I should
> stay away from Wikipedia if I knew what was good for me. On
> top of that,
> he mentioned that as a professor he would automatically
> flunk a student
> out of his class (not just give an "F" on the assignment)
> if he found a
> student even consulting Wikipedia for an initial overview
> of a topic.
> There was that much hostility to the project.

I had much the same experience when I contacted a sociologist, widely considered one of the world's top scholars in his field, for clarification of a passage in a book he had written. I mentioned it was for a Wikipedia article. In his reply, he said,

"... I do not permit any of my students to cite your encyclopedia as any kind of reliable source when they write papers for me. Wik. is too much a playground for social activists of whatever editorial bent wherein the lowest common denominator gets to negotiate reality for readers. No thanks."

His next e-mail was friendlier, but this is what Wikipedia is up against in terms of winning humanities scholars' goodwill ...

A.