[Foundation-l] Has Wikipedia changed since 2005?

emijrp emijrp at gmail.com
Sat Sep 18 17:33:48 UTC 2010

2010/9/18 Peter Damian <peter.damian at btinternet.com>

> [...]

The first (or the second) editor of Wikipedia was Larry Sanger, a
philosopher. ; )

I think that the matter is really simple. Wikipedia is a special
encyclopedia, it is written by volunteers. That volunteers are a subset of
the world population who have Internet. Most of the knowledge of that
population covers several topics with an high profile (general knowledge,
science, tech, popular culture) but anothers with a medium or low quality
(humanities, art, geoarticles of the third world, etc). The explanation is
easy, 'advanced' Internet users who can waste their time and are skilled to
'edit a website' are those called geeks, most the time.

Doris Lessing article is acceptable, in quality and size. Most of the people
only need a few pages of info about every topic. Those who need more pages
must go to a library.

WMF have wasted many time and resources in creating a new interface,
toolbar, usability improvements, etc. And not only in the Interwebs, also in
the 'real life': Wikimanias, chapters, meet ups, GLAM, an other volunteers
attracting events. Also, they are helping to the population in the south
hemisphere to join us.

Also, Wikipedia was founded in 2001. I think that Wikipedians have done a
great work in that years, this is a volunteer effort. Wikipedia is not
finished, and probably, it will be never finished. In the future, perhaps a
group of editors can create a wiki in Wikia about Doris Lessing. But that is
very time consuming now.

Systemic bias is old, very old, you haven't discovered it. In the next
decades, when computers and Internet will be almost 'ubiquous' that problem
will be solved.