[Foundation-l] Has Wikipedia changed since 2005?

Peter Damian peter.damian at btinternet.com
Fri Sep 17 17:54:17 UTC 2010

I would appreciate it if people did not make reference to banned users
unless it is relevant to the subject of this thread, which is about the
nature of education, whether educational content is appropriate for
Wikipedia, and whether encyclopedia is improving its coverage of educational
content since 2005.

Regarding 'academic' and 'educational'. These are not the same.  Friday's
featured article
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Today%27s_featured_article/September_17,_2010
is about the Ormulum http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ormulum . This is a
well-written article, which identifies the salient points and presents them
clearly and in a way that interests the reader.  It is not too long, and it
covers a subject which is not trivial or ephemeral.  But it is not academic.
It is not written in an academic style, it does not present original
research, and so on.  It is a presentation of an academic subject intended
to appeal to a mass audience.

Supporting my original claim, the article was mostly completed by 2005
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Ormulum&oldid=29012831 .  Note
also that the two main authors of the article appear to have stopped
contributing.  If I were donating to Wikipedia, I would want to know why
such talented editors were no longer contributing, and what efforts were
being made to get them back.  (Please note: I was not involved in writing
this article).

With every kind wish,

Peter