[Foundation-l] Has Wikipedia changed since 2005?

Phil Nash phnash at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Sep 16 22:54:54 UTC 2010

Peter Damian wrote:
> [...]

You say you meant "educational", but it seems clear to me that your POV is
that anything that is not "academic" is not "educational". Philosophy, your
own subject, is not one to be approached lightly, yet which has been taught
(at least in its principles) to primary school children in the UK in recent
years; ideas of "right and wrong, fairness and justice", "why are we here
and what do we do while we're here?" are always interesting concepts,
whatever ones level of understanding, and while I don't see kids being
taught the history of moral thought, or existentialism, it makes them think,
which is what I believe education should be about.

Having said that, the idea of what constitutes "education" has changed
somewhat majorly over that least 2000 years, and specifically the last 100
years in the UK, and whereas we no longer regard the ability to launch a
spear into an enemy as a worthwhile talent to possess (and which can be
taught), we now have systems that perform the same calculations, much
faster, and with much more repeatability. We also have yet primitive AI
systems that can achieve success rates approaching human capabilities, yet
are mistrusted simply because in safety-critical or life-critical
situations, they are perceived as inferior to human judgement- yet we see
news reports of such failures by highly-qualified human professionals in
those fields, and their consequences.

In the latter case, it's a matter of statistics, which brings me back to my
original point in this thread- that taking an article at point A and later
at point B in time, detecting "no improvement" (a surely subjective
assessment) and thereby extrapolating to the whole of Wikipedia, cannot be
sustained as a valid conclusion, as others have pointed out.

As for content generally, I have no objection to what you might call
"popular culture", as long as it is treated properly; however, it's often
written by editors who are unfamiliar with the difference between a blog and
an encyclopedia and that is a challenge we face to educate those editors in
reliable sourcing, encyclopedic tone, etc.

As for you, like "The Blues Brothers", you claim the moral high ground as if
you were "on a mission from God", yet are not only banned from Wikipedia,
but have expressed an intention to challenge from within, as a kind of
breaching experiment, by complaining to our major donors that you have been
prevented from adding "good content". In fact, you've tried this on several
occasions, none of which have resulted in an perceived reduction on
donations. That should tell you that apart from the various other banned
malcontents who inhabit Wikipedia Review, you are alone, and very much so.
I'd suggest you read C.P. Snow's "Two Cultures" essay; interpolate a third
culture (say, pop music or reality tv) and extrapolate to how Wikipedia
should be dealing philosophically and practically, with editors who, in good
faith, want to add information of interest to themselves and their
generation.

That's all, and "all the rest is silence".

Phil